Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Highlands and The Lake District

Hello,

We spent one night in The Scottish Highlands before heading back into England to The Lake District, which I have to say is my favourite place so far!

The beautiful heather.

A war monument we stopped to see, I think it was around Fort William. They also had a circle you could walk through that had memorabilia of all the men and women who lost their lives in war, and I have to say it was especially difficult to go through, there were so many, and a lot of them were very young.

These photos where taken in Glencoe, it was gorgeous!

Next we stopped in Gretna Green, which is where back in the day young couples would elope to if they couldn't get their parents to consent to the marriage. The age of consent was 21 in England and it was 18 in Scotland. You also didn't have to have a minister to preform the marriage, it just had to be someone like a reputable tradesman, like a blacksmith. I have wanted to go here ever since I seen Pride and Prejudice and it was "supposed" that Lydia and Wickham eloped to Gretna Green. It's now a tourist attraction, but I still found it really cute.

They also had tame Highland cows here, I didn't get to pet them or anything, but I got a couple photos. They are adorable!

Now we headed on to The Lake District, it was raining most of the way there so I only got a couple a pictures before the bus windows were too hard to see out of.

These next four are the view out of our room window at the hotel, which was a really old restored hotel, very cute. I didn't get a picture of the outside though.

Okay I found these last two on Google Images so you could get an idea of what it looked like from the outside.

The next day we went to see William Wordsworth's grave in the village of Grasmere.

They had the cutest store that sold reusable bags with fun little sayings on them, and Mary, one of the ladies on the bus bought me a knitting one!

Mary had been admiring my fingerless mitts I'd been wearing so I made a pair for her :) They were my bus knitting, it's the Happily Ever After Mitts pattern by Susan b. Anderson.

Next we went on to the town of Bowness were we had a lunch break and then most of the group went on a cruise on Lake Windermere and then on a steam engine train ride, while a few of us chose to stay in the town a little longer to shop and look around and then we caught the bus a little later and met back up with everyone at the train station where we continued on to the town of Chester for the night. My camera battery died so I didn't get any pictures of all of this, but I got it charged up for our city tour around Chester the next day, which I'll share in the next post.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh, I <3 that cute knitting bag! I love how the Highlands are so green! Beautiful. And I love how you went to Gretna Green! I remember this place mentioned so many time in my romance novels. You are so lucky to go on this trip.

    ReplyDelete