Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to School Time

Hello Knitters,

Well it's that time of year again.....I don't know how it snuck up on me, but I've already been seeing the big yellow school bus drive by the house. Even though no one in my immediate family is in school, I still get excited for what this time of year brings - new beginnings!! I've always felt that way. Not really sure why, maybe it was getting new school text books, and a new backpack or brand-spankin' new school supplies!! (I've had a love affair with paper products since I was a wee child) or maybe it was all the new information and techniques I would be learning that year. Whatever it is, I still feel it every fall. Of course this is also the time when my knitting seems to get into high gear, but more on that another day. Today I want to focus on kids and back-to-school things. More specifically the newest edition of Petite Purls - Fall 2010. This is seriously one of the best issues yet! It's completely back-to-school themed :-) So I thought I would share my top 5 favourite patterns and why.

1. Audrey's First Day by Elizabeth Smith - I've always liked the different styles of the 50's, 60's and 70's and this 60's style preppy cardigan is adorable! Elizabeth has taken the original sweater design and given it a more modern flair for the "now" little girl. This was the first pattern that jumped right out at me as a "have-to-make."

2. Little Letterman by Danielle Reiner - Keeping with the whole preppy theme, this little coat for the boy in your life is so cute. The idea of the letter being your little one's initial is so fun. I'm also really fond of the colours she chose.

3. First Grade by Marina Hayes - Could there be any cuter socks?? I remember my sister and I having ruffle socks that we would wear to church with our "good shoes"....these are so sweet and I just have to make them sometime soon!

4. Birdie Backpack by Alison Stewart-Guinee - Ever since they days of Mr. Dressup (he was my childhood hero - craft time was THE BEST!!) I have had a thing for owls :-) This birdie backpack reminds me so much of being a kid. And come on, those bird wing pockets are way too cool!

5. Ewan by Sarah Grieve - Ok, this cardigan is seriously cute. I think the idea of a little boy in a grown-up style cardigan is adorable. This one is made to resemble a boyfriend cardi (which I just think was the best thing we girls stole from the boys ever!) and what I like so much is that you can easily make this to suit a little girl as well, or just have her look like the older girls wearing her boyfriend's sweater :-) The styling of it is great since it has cables and texture to keep the knitter interested while still being a quicker knit since it's done on a smaller scale than an adult size. Sarah has also included a range of sizing from 6-12 months all the way up to 5 years which is great. I could see myself knitting this one for sure.

Wow, that was hard to choose only 5!! There are so many great patterns: pencil cases, a head scarf that reminds me of the 70's, an adorable vest, more socks and sweaters, a rocket toy, and even a pair of overalls! If you haven't already, head on over and check it out!!

Allegra and Brandy also have some fun and great features, including some new categories that you should check out as well. My favourite is "Crafting at Home" since being a home-schooled child, that's where I learned all my crafting skills. Allegra's story about her and her daughter reminds me so much of my Mom and I. By the way, "Origami Pack for Children" by Mari Ono and Roshin Ono looks like a book I might like even for myself!! You're never too old or too young to learn something new in my opinion :-)

I hope you all enjoyed my review. I had such fun looking through this new edition and would like to get the chance to start on something from it soon! I hope it has inspired you as well, there's no better time than fall to start some new projects.

Happy Knitting All!!

No comments:

Post a Comment