Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Confessions of a Wedding Cake Baker - Day 1

Hello All,

Here is the knitting picture I promised yesterday:


The details:

Pattern: 'Little Pumpkin' from Itty-Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson.

Yarn:

Orange - Peaches & Creme Cotton -#11 Sunburst

Brown - Patons Wool Merino - Taupe

Green - Bernat Cotton - not sure what colour since the ball band was missing, but it's dark, almost a forest green

Needle: US 7 circular and dpns

Gauge: 5 st per inch

I loved making it, I have a thing for pumpkins and since I'm in the Fall mood already (which has been put aside for a bit due to the unusually warm weather we've been having - thank goodness), I thought it would be a perfect project for a day of car knitting. I wasn't disappointed. I love Susan B Anderson's books (can't wait for her new one coming out soon!), and I have a thing for knitting hats, especially for little baby heads. It was a lot of fun, and very quick.

On to other things; now about the wedding cake, I thought I would do my best to keep you all up to date on the whole process. I can't promise anything, as I have no idea what this is going to be like, but I would love to share it with you if possible. I already have a picture of the cakes (most of them) that are in our freezer.



The only ones missing are a white 10" layer (which is still cooling), and a strawberry 10" layer (which is in the oven as we speak). There are 6 three-layer cakes in total (I decided to cut out one of the 8" cakes from around the bottom because it was just getting to be too much cake!!). Each cake is a different flavour: the bottom tier - chocolate, middle tier - Neapolitan, top tier - white, and the 8" rounds are; lemon, coconut and red velvet. I can hardly wait till Friday afternoon to see it all come together. The wedding is Friday with the reception at 7:00 pm. I need to have the cake there before 6, so I am aiming for 4ish. I sure hope it works! Wish me luck!!

I'll do my best to keep you posted. Gotta go, I hear the timer beeping!!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment