Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sock Club

Hello!

I want to start off by saying a big thank you for all your comments on my Cupcake Mittens.   You all are so sweet.  My Knit Picks order hasn't made it here yet (due to the weather we have not been able to go pick it up, but I'm hearing Monday is going to be the day now.), so I still haven't decided which SpillyJane pattern I'm going to knit next.  I'm hoping once I see the yarn it will help me make a decision. 
Anyways, today's topic is socks, as you can see from the title of this post.  You all know how socks are right up there at the top of my 'favourite-things-to-knit' list.  (although I think colourwork mittens might have surpassed them lately, but never mind that.)  So because of this, I decided to do a Self-Imposed-Sock-of-the-Month Club this year.  I took my inspiration from the Yarn Harlot, and chose 12 sock patterns I have been wanting to knit, matched them up with 12 yarns from my stash that I have been wanting to use, printed/photocopied off the patterns and placed everything in 12 big Ziploc bags.  I will pick one at random at the beginning of each month, and will try to complete them within those 30-31 days.  I think this is a great way to use up some of my stash yarn, as well as get around to knitting those patterns I have been wanting to knit all these years.  I also really like the element of surprise that is associated with picking at random, it makes it extra exciting for me, which is always a plus. 

January's socks are Embossed Leaves by Mona Schmidt from Favorite Socks.  I'm using Dream in Color Smooshy in a fun colour called "GoGo Grassy" that I got in the Itty-Bitty Easter Swap last year from Susan.  I'm on the gusset decreases of the first sock right now:


I think these are going to be my weekend project.  My sister is coming down to stay overnight and we are planning on watching some Jane Austen movies and knitting - two of my favourite things.  I hope you have some fun and relaxing plans as well.  And speaking of relaxing, have you read the Yarn Harlot's post?  What is your take on it?  Is knitting relaxing for you?  For me, I think it all depends on the project.  If it's something I have to knit that needs to be done very fast, I find it can become quite stressful, but if it's something I want to knit and that has no real deadline, then, yes, I find knitting to be very relaxing.  I am one of those people who has to have something to do at all times, so I am very, very grateful that I learned how to knit and crochet.  It helps relieve tension and keeps me focused on the present moment.  One of my goals this year, as I mentioned before, is to learn to enjoy my projects and the actual process of my craft more, and I think reading this post, and the comments has helped me gain a new perspective on that. 

Happy Weekend,
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea, putting your projects in bags and picking them at random. I need to do that. I know I would get so much more knitted. I spend so much time daydreaming over patterns, to grab a bag and start knitting, brilliant. Also, I love the socks. That pattern and yarn are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb, when I seen the Yarn Harlot post about this same idea on her blog a couple of years ago, I thought it would be just what I needed. Now I've finally got around to doing it! Great idea to try it out with any pattern and yarn you'd like to use, not just socks!

      Delete
  2. I love that you're doing a self-imposed sock club. If I knit socks (which I haven't tried yet...), I would join in along with you.

    But as Barb above mentioned, it's a great way to get through projects you want to knit. I should go through my yarn and do that since there are patterns I'd really like to knit and then forget about them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a good way to keep me motivated to work through some of my sock yarn :)

      Delete