Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Little Lesson I Learned

Hello Knitters,

I don't think I mentioned this on the blog, but the other night I was feeling like I needed something easy and mindless to work on since I wasn't feeling very well and thought a hat would fit the bill. I had been looking through 101 Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders earlier in the day and had liked the Lacy Leaf Alpaca-Angora Hat. I went into the stash and came up with a couple balls of Patons Angora Bamboo in Indigo. I didn't check my gauge (yes, I know....) and cast on with dreams of sporting this around town when the weather turns cooler looking all hip and happenin'. Well....I'm sure you can guess where this is going. When I was about three repeats of the lace pattern into the thing I thought to myself, and even mentioned to Mom, that it looked a tad small. But I thought, maybe it will stretch once I get it on my head. I kept on knitting and finished off about an hour ago. It still looked small, but I thought it would fit since my head isn't all that big. I tried it on and....nope, not even a chance. It wasn't even close to being a beanie (you know, the kind with the little wind blowy thing on top). I showed Mom, we had a little laugh about it, and I've decided to add it to the flower girl's gift bag. Here's a picture:



I actually don't feel as bad about it as I thought I would. I'm happy that it's something someone else can enjoy. I can't be selfish and knit only for me all the time :-) Next time however, I won't choose something that clearly states in the name that it has lace in it and therefore requires concentration. I was picking this project up for mindless knitting, but that wasn't what it ended up being. Now I'm thinking about trying the whole two-at-a-time sock thing again....this time with just plain socks, not cables. Kelly Petkin always talks about how those are her go-to knitting projects for taking around in her bag to knit at restaurants and when she needs something simple, so I thought I'd at least give it another try. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes....

Happy Knitting!!

Note: to anyone who owns this book, there are a lot of pattern mistakes so I strongly suggest you check out the errata here.

P.S. Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts for both my Mom and me!! You are too kind!! :-) She is doing very well and is getting better all the time. I still don't feel 100% but the medication I got should start working within the next week or two. Again, thank you for thinking of us, we appreciate it so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment