Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Past Two Months

Hello,

The last two months were tough ones when it came to my Self-Imposed Sock Club.  I started the September pair in September, I even brought them to England and back - but I didn't work on them even once during that time, which is probably why they didn't get completed until almost the end of October.  This of course put a mad rush on the October socks, which forced me to change plans and do a Plain Vanilla instead of the pattern that came in the bag.  I'm actually very happy with them and I think they still turned out lovely despite this.  Plus, I wanted to be able to enjoy knitting them since they are for a Christmas gift and I believe in happily knitting gift projects so that the happiness is embedded into them, so I thought this was the best call.  I've now decided to do the same for both the November and December pairs since they are for Christmas gifts as well.  I know it's not sticking to the original plan, but I think sometimes you have to deviate in order to get things done.  This time of year is just way to full to add complicated patterns to it.


Project: September Socks
Started: September 1, 2012
Finished: October 23, 2012
Pattern: Simple Skyp Socks by Adrienne Ku
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Hand-Painted in Make Believe - 1 skein
Needles: 2.75 mm DPNs 
Mods: I did a short-row heel and I stopped the patterning on the foot and replaced it with k6, p2 ribbing.


Project: October Gift Socks - made for someone's Christmas gift
Started: October 23, 2012
Finished: October 26, 2012
Pattern: Plain Vanilla Socks with a short-row heel
Yarn: Scarlet Fleece Grassy Wool in Guitar Hero (This was gifted to me by Mary Rose in the Itty-Bitty Secret Santa Swap a couple of years ago.)
Needles: 2.75 mm DPNs
Mods: None.

I will leave you with a picture of the November socks in progress:


These ones are for my Dad's Christmas present.  The colour is called Building Blocks, supposedly based on Lego pieces, but for some reason they remind me more of Sesame Street, what do you think?  They're a little "out there" in colour for my Dad, but since I'm trying to use up my stash and limit my yarn buying till I make a nice dent in it, these are what he gets.  They can be his happy socks.  I think everyone should have a pair of happy socks, don't you?

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I loved making my Skyp socks :) I didn't think to stop the pattern on the foot, though...not that it mattered to me because they're for me. They're quite lovely.

    I think I'm going to have to learn how to do a short row heel...I've got the basic heel flap & gusset and now I can do the heel flap & double decrease heel gusset...but a short row heel would be nice, too :)

    Also, everyone should have happy socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sykp socks were fun, I enjoyed them too! I only stopped the patterning for the foot because I was running out of time and needed to hurry up, next pair will be completely patterned :)
      Short-row heels have become my new favourite! They're easy to do and remember and I like the fit of them too.
      I'm glad you agree about the happy socks ;)

      Delete
  2. No matter what Armida, you're getting a lot of sock knittin' done. That's all that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, all that matters is that it gets done ;)

      Delete
  3. Your socks look great - I love the color of the first pair you shared. And the Building Blocks are great colors, even if they are outside your dad's comfort zone. :) I can see the Lego inspiration (DH loves his legos...), but mostly I think the colors are great in the contrast from one another and how bright they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae Lynne! The first ones are my favourite too :) I agree, the contrast between all the colours in Dad's socks is great, they're nice and cheerful, which makes them especially fun to knit!

      Delete
  4. I love the happy socks! Can't wait to see the orange knit up into them.

    ReplyDelete