Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recently Reading

Hello,

I finally finished reading Emma last week.  I think it is now one of my very favourites of Jane Austen's books.  It was so good that I wanted to read it all over again as soon as I finished.  I had seen the movies before (my favourite is the BBC version with Romola Garai), but I hadn't read the book till now.  I appreciated getting to know the characters more fully through the book because there is only so much they can fit into the movies.  It was fun to read along with everyone over in the Itty-Bitty Group, I especially enjoyed discussing our favourite parts, and least favourite characters!  I've already started trying to decide which book to read next.  Right now it's between Mansfield Park and Gone with the Wind.  I also was considering Wives and Daughters, and Cranford.  I seem to have been bitten by the reading bug!  I read Persuasion over the weekend when I finished Emma and fully enjoyed it too.  I hadn't read it before, just seen the movies, but as with Emma, I liked getting to dig deeper into the characters and their feelings.  Reading has been bringing me a lot of enjoyment lately and I hope it doesn't stop any time soon.

My current project is a baby blanket for my sister's friend who is due in September.  That's it in the picture up there.  We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, so I chose to make it in white.  I just measured it and there is about 10 more inches to go and then the edging.  I'm really hoping to get it finished before Friday so that I can focus entirely on my Ravellenic Games projects, which I have finally picked out!  I'm going to do the Honeycomb Scarf and a hexipuff a day for my Bee Keeper's Quilt - which I started yesterday, those little hexipuffs are so cute!  I figured it was best to choose only two things so I don't overwhelm myself since I don't know what is going to be going on during the next few weeks around here.  Then if I do finish up before the Games end, I will just add something else and work on that.  It feels so nice to have my projects picked out, now I just need to get some beads and a small crochet hook at Michael's tomorrow and wind my yarn then I'll be all ready for Mass Cast-On, which here is going to be at 4:00 PM, I can hardly wait!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to read a Jane Austen book! I saw the Pride & Prejudice movie with Keira Knightley some time ago. I fell in love w/that story. I have the hard copy.
    The snowy whiteness of that yarn is such a great symbol for a baby's innocence and purity. Can't wait to see more of it along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all the Jane Austen books when I was a teenager, before I was 16 I think. I read them all in Chinese then. My memory is vague now. I think I should read them again. The full collection is only $0.99 or $1.99 on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of those books you mentioned. You might like Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South too. It's a cross between Dickens and Austen.

    ReplyDelete